Tuesday, March 8, 2022

People and Nationalism [The Ukraine War - No. 9]

13 years ago I had a flight layover in Moscow, it was a Russian airline. When the airplane landed in Moscow, passengers started to clap and cheer exclaimed. It was my first time seeing this so I asked my neighbor why, they said "our Russian pilot is the best in the world! Did you see how he landed, so skillful!" It was also my last time seeing that. 

Years ago I had also traveled around Poland, saw many cities, saw people having their uncontrollable excitement about officially being part of the free world, meanwhile holding down the sadness and fear from the past. They just felt unbelievably lucky and tried to move on past the dark memories, quietly and steadily. 

Now whenever I spot any unnecessary exclamation under any form of nationalism, I think about Russia, I think about China, I think about the people under Trump and so many alike around the world. 

And they all are associated with ignorance, violence and destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment