Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Skin color to a girl

 



[Interestingly, in China we have a similar saying "light skin conceals three flaws" (一白遮三丑). While in Japan it conceals seven flaws, I am wondering why in China it conceals some four flaws less...
Actually, the whole sentence is "一白遮三丑,一胖毁所有" the latter means "if you are fat, that destroys EVERYTHING!" Imagine growing up all these rotten-old demeaning bullshit sayings were deeply carved into your mind and soul.... well, luckily not mine.....]

Don't know when Aditi started to be aware of different skin colors and the different weights behind them. I caught her calling me "my white skin mommy, I like your color". I was like "What?! No no, first of all, mommy is yellow to be exact, yellow like the sun and moon, secondly, mommy prefers your brown skin, brown like the sun and moon!...." 

I thought I prepared her well, I have been praising her skin color from day one. I would kiss her all over, telling her "mommy loves your skin color, it's a bit darker than mine, but I rather have yours." 

The reason for doing that? White Supremacy exists in the most unexpected trivial matters that could unconsciously but strongly diminish a young mind's self-esteem. 

I've heard enough stories, especially for girls. 

I indeed a few times caught some girls in school comparing each other's skin color if "yours is whiter or mine is whiter". You have to admit, the majority of Asians still prefer whiter skin and if the mommies are comparing each other among themselves, their daughters learn that behavior. 

To deal with this head-wrenching matter? Thank God our VP is Kamala Harris. Aditi by now has developed a strong sense of self-pride because of the way we look up to our VP and the way our VP looks, the same brown as Aditi's. This fact gives my daughter so much self-reassurance, it would weigh down the white-loving tendency among her peers much more efficiently than a mommy's "maybe blind" love to her daughter. 

A sign of moving forward, no? I'm still waiting to see a black/brown/yellow/rainbow/white/anything Female president of America in my lifetime. 

I hold that hope high.

No comments:

Post a Comment